Thursday, October 29, 2009
This is my first Easy Baby Cardigan, by designer Diane Soucy, and it was a lovely knit. It's completely seamless, apart from the top seam of the hood, which makes it much more fun to knit! I love that it can be modified in several ways to make it a very individual item. It can be knitted with or without the hood, with buttons, ribbon or ties for the closure and embellishments can be added, as desired. It can be knitted in either wool to cater for the cooler weather, or cotton to be a lovely summer jacket.
Contact me at email@example.com to order one of these versatile cardigans.
Sunday, October 25, 2009
I've just been catching up on some friends' blogs and one caught my eye in particular tonight. Kelly (designer of many of my custom knitting items) came across 'Softies for Mirabel', which is a handcrafted softie (toy) drive hosted by meet me at mikes. Kelly has been knitting lots of gorgeous little soft toys for this drive, which is bound to put a smile on many childrens faces this Christmas.
(from Kelly's blog) "They are asking for handcrafted (ie sewn or knit) softies that they will collect and then right before Christmas, deliver them to the Mirabel Foundation for distribution to the children that Mirabel has on it's books.
Borrowed from the MF website: Mirabel assists children who have been orphaned or abandoned due to parental illicit drug use and are now in the care of extended family (kinship care). Mirabel believes that every child deserves a childhood and its mission is to break the destructive cycle of addiction and disadvantage."
I will be attempting to make at least a couple of these cute wee soft toys for this wonderful cause - items must be finished by 31 October. So many children's lives are tipped upside down by drug abuse and violence within their family - it's heartbreaking to think that so many innocent children are hurt by this vicious cycle. If I can make a child smile and feel even a little bit loved at Christmas by doing something I love and creating a toy, it will be well worth the small amount of time involved.
Friday, October 23, 2009
Well, I finally finished the Ishbel I was knitting as a gift to my mother. I started back in August (her birthday month), but was waylaid by other things that needed to be finished sooner. Unfortunately the yarn I used (50/50 merino/silk blend) had very little elasticity so the edges aren't nice and pointy because I just couldn't stretch it enough during blocking. However, it's lovely and soft and I'm pleased with it overall - especially as it's my first ever shawl.
Friday, October 9, 2009
I was lucky enough a couple of weeks ago to obtain a fabulous swift from my friend Julia and her talented husband. It really is wonderful! I have only managed to skein three hanks of yarn so far (one was for a swap, so isn't in the picture) - mainly because we have been staying for part of the school holidays at a friend's house and I didn't take it with me. I have several hanks of yarn waiting to be reformed into beautiful balls of yarn, which will happen over the next few days. I'll take a pic of them all when I'm done, so I can admire all the pretty yarn :)
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
For another swap I did, I was keen to create a deep red yarn. My first, using food colouring, resulted in a dark browny/black wool (I used too much black to 'deepen' the red). The second attempt, using wine red gel colours, resulted in a semi solid pink yarn, and my final attempt, using three bottles of Hansells Red food colouring, resulted in quite a bright red yarn. It wasn't as deep as I was planning, but it's vibrant and I really like it!
I have been involved in a couple of swaps recently and here are some of the results. This one is a needle roll I made. I wasn't sure if the recipient had more straight needles or interchangeables, so I made a roll that had the ability to contain both, plus cables and dpns. My sewing isn't brilliant, so don't look too closely. I ended up finishing it quite hastily and my machine wasn't too keen on the plastic stuff, so I had to sew on the opposite side which made it hard to see where my lines were. Consequently they're a bit wonky in places! Ah well, it still works, LOL!
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
This is (finally) my Pinny for a Dolly, that I actually finished about a week ago, but have been away at a lovely friend's house to 'look after it' (read have a mini break) while her family was away. I have entered this into Kelly's Pinny for a Dolly competition, although it is minus the crocheted flower that I made for it, as it has vanished into the ether and I couldn't find it in time. I will be doing an extensive search in the morning and adding it on later. Excuse the photos again - done at night and in very uninspiring surroundings.
Update: 7 October - I have found the flower I crocheted and have added it to my Pinny, but not sure how effective it is. Hmmmm ...