Sunday, October 25, 2009

Softies for Mirabel

I've just been catching up on some friends' blogs and one caught my eye in particular tonight. Kelly (designer of many of my custom knitting items) came across 'Softies for Mirabel', which is a handcrafted softie (toy) drive hosted by meet me at mikes. Kelly has been knitting lots of gorgeous little soft toys for this drive, which is bound to put a smile on many childrens faces this Christmas.

(from Kelly's blog) "They are asking for handcrafted (ie sewn or knit) softies that they will collect and then right before Christmas, deliver them to the Mirabel Foundation for distribution to the children that Mirabel has on it's books.

Borrowed from the MF website: Mirabel assists children who have been orphaned or abandoned due to parental illicit drug use and are now in the care of extended family (kinship care). Mirabel believes that every child deserves a childhood and its mission is to break the destructive cycle of addiction and disadvantage."

I will be attempting to make at least a couple of these cute wee soft toys for this wonderful cause - items must be finished by 31 October. So many children's lives are tipped upside down by drug abuse and violence within their family - it's heartbreaking to think that so many innocent children are hurt by this vicious cycle. If I can make a child smile and feel even a little bit loved at Christmas by doing something I love and creating a toy, it will be well worth the small amount of time involved.

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment - I love reading them!